A website dedicated to books in the Young Adult genre, featuring book reviews, author interviews contests and much more!


Saturday, June 13, 2009

YA Movie News



So I think this information might've been out for a little bit, but I am behind the times. In case any of you are out of the loop too, I'm doing a post on cool YA books being made into movies!

First up, Alex Flinn's Beastly-- Vanessa Hudgens is playing Linda and Mary Kate Olsen has been cast to play Kendra, the witch. Fans of How I Met Your Mother will be thrilled to know that Neil Patrick Harris has been cast as Kyle's (the beast's) blind tutor! I can't wait to see this movie. So far, the scheduled release date is in 2010.





Next up is Scott Westerfeld's novel, Uglies. The only information I have is that the rights for all three books Uglies, Pretties and Specials have been purchased. The movie has a tentative release date of 2011.





For fans of Wendelin Van Draanen's novel Flipped, six stars have been picked to play in the movie, including Aidan Quinn, Rebecca DeMornay and Penelope Ann Miller. Nora and Delia Ephron have taken on the scripting and Rob Reiner is also involved, so you know this will be a good one. I haven't read this book yet but now I'm going to have to push it to the front of my "to read" pile!




The only news I could find about the House of Night movies was that they have been optioned by Empire pictures and it's in development for a tentative 2011 release date. I am dying to find out who will play Zoey, Aphrodite, etc...guess we'll just have to be patient!






The first book in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, A Great and Terrible Beauty is being made into a movie, as you may know. It's coming out in 2010. At this point there is no other news.





Two other books that have been optioned for movie rights are Michael Scott's novel, The Alchemyst and Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, but no other other news to date.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, an Uglies movie! That would be so cool.

Zia said...

Wow I had no idea these books were being made into movies. I have Beastly on my shelf to be read and I love the Uglies series and the House of Night series!