A website dedicated to books in the Young Adult genre, featuring book reviews, author interviews contests and much more!


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review: Darklight by Lesley Livingston

DARKLIGHT BY LESLEY LIVINGSTON
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 320 Pages
Publisher: HarperTeen; 1 edition (December 22, 2009)

Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was Faerie royalty, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved New York City from a rampaging Faerie war band. When a terrifying encounter in Central Park sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful—but cut short. For they’ve been plunged into a game of Faerie deception and wavering allegiances in which the next move could topple a kingdom...or part them forever. The fans who flocked to Lesley Livingston’s Wondrous Strange will fall hard for Darklight, the soaringly romantic second book in the trilogy. Breathless high stakes and vividly magical characters make this a can’t-miss fantasy for readers of Melissa Marr and Holly Black.

It's been six months since young actress Kelley Winslow learned of her true heritage and fell in love with changeling guard member Sonny Flannery. Kelley dreams of the day when she will be reunited with Sonny. Her wish soon becomes reality, though not in the way she imagined. A violent encounter with a murderous leprechaun hurtles Kelley into the Otherworld, and back into Sonny's arms once more.

The magical, romantic saga that began in Wondrous Stage lives on with Darklight, the second installment in this enchanting series. Wondrous Strange captured my attention with the excitement of stage acting and the Celtic lore of the faerie world. It was a great book. But, Darklight? Well, Darklight took the series to another level for me. The plot became more complex, the characters more well defined and the twists more startling than I ever anticipated. I literally was on pins and needles this entire novel.

One thing that surprised me (and which I feel almost guilty over) was that instead of Sonny, I started wanting Kelley to be with Fennrys, one of the other Janus Guards. I liked the romantic tension sizzling in the air between them. Fennry’s was a great character to throw into the mix and spice things up with. A good love triangle will always capture my attention too!

The end of Darklight left me gasping in disbelief and wishing I could immediately jump into another book. It will be interesting to see how Sonny and Kelley’s relationship is resolved in the next installment!


Purchase Darklight HERE.






Lesley Livingston is a writer and actor. She holds a master’s degree in English, with a specialization in Arthurian literature and Shakespeare, from the University of Toronto. A principal performer and founding member of the Tempest Theatre Group, Livingston brings Shakespearean classics to life in productions and workshops for high school students across southern Ontario.

Learn more about Lesley and her novels at her official website & blog.


7 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

O! Another man enters the picture? Nice.

prophecygirl said...

I felt the same as you about Kelley and Fen. I'm hoping that develops more in the next book. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds great =). I am currently waiting for my copy of „Wondrous Strange” to arrive but I’m sure I’ll love it. It is a shame that it wasn’t translated into my native language, though. I could get it sooner then =/. On the other hand, the translator could spoil the book. Joanna

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Oooh! I'm hoping to get this! Great post! :)

Eleni said...

Great review Kim! I'm halfway through this book and I'm loving it so far!

Monster of Books said...

This is on my TBR list and I'm certainly looking forward to it. I loved Wondrous Strange.

Mary not so Contrary said...

I cant wait to get this and read it. I love her book covers! They are so beautiful and captivating! Thanks for the great review!