A website dedicated to books in the Young Adult genre, featuring book reviews, author interviews contests and much more!


Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Book Review: The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, Book 3) by Kelley Armstrong

THE RECKONING (DARKEST POWERS, #3) BY
KELLEY ARMSTRONG

Reading level:
Young Adult
Hardcover:
400 pages
Publisher:
HarperCollins; 1 edition (April 6, 2010)
Language:
English
Purchase: Amazon| Indiebound|Barnes & Noble


My name is Chloe Saunders. I’m fifteen, and I would love to be normal.

But normal is one thing I’m not.

For one thing, I’m having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother—who just happens to be a sorcerer—but, between you and me, I’m leaning toward the werewolf.

Not normal.

My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us—permanently.

Definitely not normal.

And finally, I’m a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.

As far away from normal as it gets.

"Screw caution," Tori said. "I'm outta here." We looked at her. "Well, I am. As long as someone comes with me." We kept looking at her. She sighed. "Fine, but when everything goes to hell, just remember, I get to blame you guys, because I wanted to leave right away." -page 196

Will Chloe, Derek, Tori and Simon get away from The Edison group once and for all? Fueled with action and adrenaline, The Reckoning was one heck of a wild ride. If you are a fan of this series, you should be pleased with the this third and final installment in the Darkest Powers trilogy.

Kelley Armstrong incorporates supernatural elements into her story line seamlessly. It all makes perfect sense and seems realistic, like you could actually see this happening right now. This installment also brought some great character development too. I loved that while Tori still retained her whiny, spoiled side, she began to evolve into a more mature woman. She began looking out for Chloe more and surprised me by actually supporting her in tough situations. As for Chloe, I can see why both Simon and Derek care so much for her. She's one in a million. Chloe evolved a great deal in this book, becoming more self-assured and strong than ever before. I loved this particular exchange between her and Derek-

“You were just worried about me.” An exhale, relieved that I understood. “Yeah.” I turned. “Because you think I’m worth it.” He put his fingers under my chin. “I absolutely think you’re worth it.” “But you don’t think you are.” His mouth opened. Shut. “That’s what this is about, Derek. You won’t let us worry about you because you don’t think you’re worth it. But I do. I absolutely do.”- page 238

In The Reckoning, Kelley Armstrong devoted more time delving into the murky world of necromancy; it was fascinating and made for some of the best scenes within the novel. The one in the graveyard with Margaret being the most powerful in my opinion. My heart was caught in my throat the entire time. Why would anyone with half a brain bring a powerful but unsteady necromancer to a cemetery?! After reading The Reckoning, I also walked away with a stronger sense of just how much Chloe's really capable of.

I appreciated how Armstrong hinted at what the future would have in store for Chloe, Tori, Simon and Derek. It's just unfortunate we won't get to read about their lives any further. When this book ended, I was left still wanting for more! But there is a light at the end of the tunnel; The Gathering, due out April 2011, will begin a new saga centering around Maya and best friend Daniel. At the end of The Reckoning there is a sneak peek teaser for this upcoming novel. Be sure and check it out!


Books in The Darkest Powers Series







Kelley Armstrong lives in rural Ontario, Canada, with her family and far too many pets. She is the author of the bestselling Women of the Otherworld series; the highly acclaimed Darkest Power young adult series and two adventure novels about a hitwoman, Exit Strategy and Made to be Broken. For further information visit her Official Website.

6 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the review!

Dwayne said...

Wonderful review. I still have to start this series!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Awesome review! :) I'm curious to hear what happens to them.

My Life With Books - Jennifer K Jovus said...

I didn't want their story to be over either. Especially when they just found what they were all looking for. (family, love, independence)

Liz. R said...

I absolutely loved The Reckoning! I can't wait for The Gathering, though I'll miss Chloe, Derek, Simon and Tori :P.

Emma said...

Great review! I love this series. I have yet to read the last book though.