A website dedicated to books in the Young Adult genre, featuring book reviews, author interviews contests and much more!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Book Beginnings Friday: Jane by April Lindner



"The chairs in the lobby of Discriminating Nannies, Inc., were less comfortable than they looked. I sat stiffly in the one nearest the exit, where I could watch the competition come and go, feeling like an imposter in my gray herringbone suit from Goodwill.  "
 
-JANE  BY APRIL LINDNER 
Reading level: Young Adult 
Hardcover: 384 pages 
Publisher: Poppy (October 11, 2010)

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.

Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.


 (I've read Jane Eyre a million times.  I was a little leery about how this retelling could possibly live up to the original. But I have to say, so far, I am loving it. It's very loyal to Charlotte Bronte's storyline but somehow also feels entirely new. Honestly, I can't put this one down! And that cover is just beautiful. I think it fits Jane's personality and the story so well.)

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading.

4 comments:

Little Miss Becky : ) said...

I just finished this one and I agree, it was completely un-put-down-able!! Amazingly, I've never read Jane Eyre, but I immediately snatched if off the library shelf today and can't wait to read it!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Oooo that's good. I'm itching for this book.

Here is my BBF :)

Suzanne said...

I just love that cover! And the story sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Bere said...

Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorite books. When I heard of Jane I was so excited. I'm incredibly excited to hear that you're loving it! Can't wait to read it myself. Thanks for sharing. =D