A website dedicated to books in the Young Adult genre, featuring book reviews, author interviews contests and much more!


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Guest Post with Lisa Schroeder, Author of The Day Before!

Today I'm thrilled to welcome one of my favorite authors, Lisa Schroeder. She has stopped by today to share with us a fun post on her favorite movies. Her latest book, The Day Before releases June 28th. For more on Lisas books, check out my reviews of Chasing Brooklyn and Far From You.



by Lisa Schroeder (June 28th, 2011)

Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.




Today, I’m going to try and do the impossible.

I’m going to try and name my top ten favorite movies of all time. In The Day Before, Amber and Cade play a little game where an object or conversation will remind one of them of something that happened in a movie, so he/she will ask: Did you see that movie? And then the other person tries to guess which movie.

I counted, and there are eight movies mentioned in the book. I’m not going to tell you what they are though – you’ll have to read it, and see how many of those movies you’ve seen. Two of them made my “Top Ten Movie List” of all time. Hmmmm… which ones do you think they are?

So here we go. My top ten favorite movies of all time.

Footloose (Special Collector's Edition)#10: Footloose – Kevin Bacon is the cute boy in the classic VW beetle, moving to a town where music is outlawed. Really? Outlawed? He can hardly stand it. One day, he can’t stand it anymore, and has to go to an abandoned warehouse where he can crank the music and get his groove on. Okay, that scene was a little weird. But I have to put the movie on here because it’s one of the few movies I really remember from my teen years. I loved it so much back then. I loved the soundtrack too, more than I can even tell you.

#9: Almost Famous – Mostly because of this scene, about how music can bring people together, and change the mood in a heartbeat. Love this so much:


The King's Speech#8: The King’s Speech – a fairly new movie, so it probably seems odd to add it to my list of all time favorites, but goodness gracious, I LOVED THIS MOVIE. Maybe it’s because I love a good historical story. Maybe it’s because I love a good friendship story. Maybe it’s because Colin Firth makes my heart pitter patter. I don’t know, but this movie is one I can’t wait to watch again.

#7: Toy Story 3 – My two sons grew up with Woody and Buzz. The original Toy Story came out when my oldest son was too young to see it in the theater, but we rented it some time later, and we were so excited to the second one when it came to the theaters. And of course, years later, my boys were all grown up when we saw the third one. And I’m pretty sure no other movie has made me cry the way Toy Story 3 made me cry. I love it when movies for kids have lots of heart (as they should), and this one definitely did.

Say Anything#6: Say Anything – Oh Lloyd Dobler, how I LOVE YOU!!! This movie, it’s all about Lloyd for me. So many great scenes where John Cusack just KILLED it. Cameron Crowe was one of the greatest directors of my generation. Did he understand teens or what?

#5: A League of Their Own – Girl power! Another movie that has one of my most favorite scenes EVER! I can’t tell you how many times I tell myself – the hard is what makes it great. Thanks, Coach.


#4: Titanic – Would anyone else admit that this movie is on their top ten list? I don’t know – probably not. Well, I can’t help it. I love this movie! I love Leo in it, and I love the love story – the boy from the wrong side of the tracks and the rich girl. And all of the work that went into making this film – it just, it really did make a splash, didn’t it? (pun intended)Cold Mountain (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)

#3: Cold Mountain – So many great characters in this movie. Even now, having not watched it for a couple of years, I can hear their voices in my head. The story of war – of people being ripped apart because of it as well as people pulling together because of it – is one that just sucks you in. Oh how desperately you want Inman to make it home. To be reunited with the woman he’s grown to love. I sort of hated the ending. But I loved Jude Law in it. And Renee Zellweger. And Nicole Kidman. Everyone did an amazing job, really. I never read the book. Maybe I should.

#2: Life is Beautiful – I laughed. I cried. Life can be cruel, and yet, love is there, and yes, that is what makes it beautiful.
The Sound of Music (Three-Disc 45th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)
#1: The Sound of Music Oh Julie Andrews, you had me at “The hills are alive with the sound of music.”



Lisa Schroeder is a native Oregonian which means her childhood summers were spent camping, fishing, reading books (of course!) and playing in the sun, when it finally came out. These days, Lisa spends her summers, and every other part of the year, sharing all of the wonderful things Oregon has to offer with her husband and two sons. She is the author of numerous books for kids and teens, including CHASING BROOKLYN (Simon Pulse, 2010) and IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES (Aladdin, 2010).

Be sure and check out The Teen Book Scene for more tour stops


No comments: